Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Pesto Chicken Sandwich


pesto chicken sandwich


pesto

One of David’s daily naps is from 12:00-1:00p and if I want to eat lunch at a table instead of sitting on the floor, it must be done during that hour. Since I started staying home, I try to have healthy options at the house for lunch. Now that the weather has warmed up a bit, it’s either a ceasar salad, or this pesto chicken sandwich.
Frankly, two options for lunch is a big step for me. For the majority of my childhood I had the same thing everyday for lunch. A ham sandwich, cheddar goldfish crackers and a lemonade. I’m sure my mom offered me different options but I just wanted a ham sandwich every day. Oddly enough, I now can’t remember the last time I’ve eaten a ham sandwich. I guess I over did it as a child.
My friend Allyson first made this pesto chicken for me a few years ago. She mixed it with arugula and skipped the bread, and it was just as tasty! I started making this pesto again a few weeks ago and I remembered how easy and flavorful this chicken is!
2 cups firmly packed basil leaves
10 garlic cloves (yes 10)
3/4 cup etra-virgin olive oil
one 2oz jar (1/4 cup) pine nuts
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Place the basil and garlic cloves in a food processor and pulse a few times for a rough chop.
2. Add olive oil in a steady stream while food processor is on.
3. Add pine nuts, parmesan, salt and pepper and puree about a minute longer
Bake a couple chicken breasts, shred, and toss with pesto.
My favorite way to make this sandwich is to broil the bread to give it a little crunch. I also let some provolone/mozzarella cheese melt on one piece of the bread while it’s in the oven. Once the bread is  crispy, pile a decent amount of pesto chicken on one side, top with a slice of tomato, and then press the melty cheese over top.
This is great to make at the beginning of the week because the flavor really develops after the shredded chicken has been tossed with the pesto.
This would also be fantastic on ravioli or just smothered on bread!
Reblogged from: http://www.thesmallthingsblog.com/2014/05/pesto-chicken-sandwich/

TRIED IT, LOVED IT, DOING IT AGAIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment